Dodge volume II Pg. 19

Your Teaching Practice

How do you feel when you are changing diapers? How do your feelings about diaper changing influence your interactions with children during this routine?

Changes in diapers, in my opinion, affect how the child and the adult interact. I agree that changing diapers fosters relationships because it is a private and intimate activity.

How do you feel when a child has a toileting accident? What do you say or do? How does this makes the child feel?

Although having frequent accidents on the toilet can be a little stressful and annoying, kids who are still learning about potty training are still learning how to be responsible. I would reassure a young child who had an accident that mistakes are made and that accidents do occur. Children who are told that everything will be fine will understand that they are not in danger and that there is no reason to feel fearful or unhappy.

What do you want to teach children about their bodies while they are learning to use the toilet?

I want to impart to them the importance of using the restroom on a regular basis. I would advise them to go to the bathroom at least three times daily.