Dodge Volume II p35

Your Teaching Practice

Would you describe yourself as a healthy eater? How does your approach to nutrition influence how and what you teach children about healthy eating?

I am absolutely not the best at eating healthily. Nonetheless, I do have a tendency to drink a lot of water. I am well aware of the significance of eating well, and I believe that children should absolutely learn about it. It’s important for everyone to have good eating habits. In addition to the physical benefits to the body, it also keeps us focused, promotes sound sleep, and helps us learn and succeed in life—including in school. According to the book, we should let kids choose how much food they eat and that it’s normal for them to finish only some of the food on their plates. Infants and toddlers should be given options, according to recommendations. So, we should encourage kids to try different meals, but we shouldn’t make them eat anything they don’t want to.

Think about mealtime in your classroom. Do you encourage conversation among children and/or talk to preverbal children? How would you describe this routine time of day (e.g., peaceful, lively, chaotic)?

I would promote conversation among kids and with preverbal kids. According to the book, children can hear and practice using intriguing, descriptive language during mealtime talks. With their teachers and friends, the kids started having verbal and nonverbal dialogues. Toddlers definitely communicate their dietary preferences to others using their developing language skills. A lot of language development is aided by conversation in general. I really can’t offer a detailed account of this typical time of day because it relies entirely on the kids and how they behave. There is no assurance that they will behave the same way even if they first behave in a certain way. Nonetheless, based on my observations and experiences, it can be lively since the kids are getting along with each other and interacting.